REGIONAL ASIAN AMERICAN PACIFIC ISLANDER (AAPI) HEALTH SUMMIT
Thursday, April 9, 2020 to Friday, April 10, 2020
United Way of Greater Houston, 50 Waugh, Houston, TX 77007
“Policies, Programs and Promising Practices for AAPI Health in US Public Health Region VI”
- The Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) population in the US is growing faster than any other racial/ethnic group. This rapid growth has been especially dramatic in US Public Health Region VI which includes Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, and New Mexico.
- Very often, the health needs of this rapidly growing and diverse population are misunderstood or overlooked.
- The Asian American Health Coalition/HOPE Clinic, in partnership with local public health and community organizations, will host a Regional Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) Health Summit in Houston starting with a reception on Thursday evening, April 9, 2020 and continuing on Friday, April 10, 2020 at the United Way of Greater Houston, 50 Waugh Drive, Houston, TX 77007.
- Goals of the summit are to:
-Identify and discuss critical health needs of AAPIs in US Public Health Region VI
-Share success stories of addressing the unique health and health care needs of AAPIs
-Foster networking between AAPI serving organizations in US Public Health Region VI in order to build capacity and encourage new and emerging leaders
-Develop a plan of action to address the identified gaps and services
- Approximately 250 participants, including public health representatives, researchers, elected officials and Asian community leaders and members are anticipated
- Local and national experts on Asian American and Pacific Islander health are invited to present.
- Other confirmed speakers include health and community leaders from Region VI. (See agenda)
- Breakout sessions will feature discussions on Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) health issues such as mental health/social isolation, needs of the elderly, the AAPI data gap, barriers to accessing health care, innovative approaches/techniques in serving AAPIs, and communicating health messages to AAPIs.
- A pre-conference networking reception to provide an opportunity for participants to network with each other and the speakers is planned for Thursday, April 9th.
- A copy of the proposed program follows.
For additional information, please contact Summit Co-Chairs:
Dr. Beverly Gor at email@example.com or (832) 721-8838 OR Ms. Shane Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org, (713) 337-3642
REGISTER AT https://aahc.hopechc.org/aapihealthsummit